What does sustainability mean to the UHSK?
Since the academic year of 2017-2018, the UHSK has started with becoming a more sustainable study association. Because the term sustainability is open for interpretation, it will be shortly explained what it means to the UHSK. In this way we hope to make it clearer what we do and can do in the field of sustainability.
For the UHSK, sustainability will mainly focus in organising events in a way that harms the environment the least. Besides this, the daily life of the association will take place in a more sustainable way. Finally, the UHSK can reach out to its members by thinking about sustainability together. After all, you can make more possible together.
There is a sidenote to make because the UHSK is a small organization and because of that we do not have all the possibilities that bigger companies do have. However, we will do as much as we can by looking at the ways that the UHSK can contribute to a better future. This will be done by adjusting small things to make our ecological footprint as small as possible. This means however that not everything can be done in a sustainable way.
What are we doing already?
- We do not use disposable tableware.
- We separate plastic waste from regular waste.
- In 2017 and 2018 we will sponsor a sustainable charity with the proceeds of the Christmas market.
- In 2018 there was a clothing swap organised together with other study association.
- The 92ndboard organised a symposium about a sustainable topic.
- From the academic year 2017-2018 there is a sustainability price, to encourage members and committees to organize sustainable events.
What are we going to do?
- The return of the hitchhiking competition will be by train.
- The sustainability price will get a make-over.
- More rapprochement will be sought with the Green Office.
- The UHSK will actively participate in national sustainability activities.